Probate In Colorado: Letters Of Administration / Letters Testamentary

If you’ve been named “Personal Representative” (executor) in someone’s will, you’ll need legal authority in order to handle the affairs of the person who has died. According to Colorado law, after someone dies, within 10 days, you need to file a will and death certificate with the District Court in Colorado where the person permanently resided.

If you are curious about your role as PR or need to obtain Letters Testamentary, call (720) 547-2319 to set up a free consult with a probate attorney.

The probate court will then issue Letters of Administration if someone passes without a will or Letters Testamentary if someone passes with a will. These “letters” empower you to act on behalf of the estate.

We can help you get the Letters Testaments or of Administration that you’ll need to:

  • obtain a Federal Tax ID number for the estate
  • open a bank account for the estate
  • locate and value assets of the estate
  • liquidate assets of the estate
  • pay off the estate’s bills and debts

As you’re managing your Personal Representative duties, you’ll typically be required to present a Letter of Administration or Letters Testamentary, along with a copy of the death certificate.

For more information about probate or to schedule your free legal consultation, please call (720) 547-2319 or contact us online.

Please note: Our law firm is in Northglenn (near I-25 and 120th Avenue), we can handle probate in all of the District Courts in Colorado, including: 1st Judicial District (Gilpin and Jefferson Counties); 2nd Judicial District (Denver County); 17th Judicial District (Adams and Broomfield Counties); 18th Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln Counties); 19th Judicial District (Weld County); and 20t hJudicial District (Boulder County).